How to import your stl scans into the treatment planning software
To start, click on the top bar where the current patient's name is displayed. If you're using the software for the first time, it says "Sample Patient".
In the dropdown window, click on CLICK TO ADD NEW PATIENT. This brings up the patient import window. From here, type in the patient's name in the field Patient's Name.
Click on Select Upper, locate and select the upper arch, and click Open.
Next, click on Select Lower and repeat the steps to add the lower arch.
Note: When exporting the scans from your scanner, select the option listed as Separate Files in Occlusion or similar, so that the scans will come in occlusion.
Finally, click on Create Patient to import your scans.
Before proceeding, you will want to make sure your scans are in occlusion, oriented correctly, and trimmed down.
Scans can be imported either solid or hollow. If hollow, ArchForm will automatically cap the scans.
Your arches should be positioned within the arch cutout, oriented upright, and facing forward. If they are not as pictured, follow the instructions below.
Scans not in occlusion
- Select either arch.
- Using the movement gizmo, move the arch into occlusion using the occlusion plane as a reference.
Notes: If both arches need to be moved, use Shift + Click to select both arches.
Scans not oriented correctly
Automatically: Click Orient Scans and the software will orient the scans for you.
Manually: Use the rotation arrows to flip your model around until it is upright and facing forward.
Trimming excess scan elements
1. Click either Trim Upper or Trim Lower, depending on which arch needs to be trimmed.
2. Select either Plane or Lasso
- Lasso tool: For cutting out areas of your model. Click and drag to make a circle around the selection you wish to remove. Upon release of the mouse, your selection will be removed.
- Trimming plane: For making straight cuts across your model. Click and drag to create a cutting plane along the section you wish to trim. Upon release of the mouse, the side of the plane with less material will be trimmed off.
3. Click Done
Note: If your cut removes the side you wanted to keep, click the Undo button and try again, making a smaller cut.